Thursday, October 15, 2009

Color it or tone it?!

Our last assignment in art class was to paint flowers with only 2 different pigments. We even had to pick our colors blindly. I got lucky and picked red and phthalo green.

Limiting myself to just these 2 colors was quite an experiment, forcing me to use the paints to their fullest. I varied the intensity by using full strength pigment down to barely any pigment diluted with water. And I mixed the red and green pigment in varying proportions to get as much color variation as I could. The range of tones amazed me, from the lightest light, to the darkest dark.

I have read that it matters less what colors you choose, than the variation and patterns of light and dark that you create in your painting. Simplifying this concept in one challenging exercise helped me understand it. Getting outside of my comfort zone always seems to result in learning something new!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Darcy it is SO wonderful to see that you have fully stepped into your dream of painting and creative freedom...your samples are amazing!
    I love how you are sharing how painting for you teaches you more and more about yourself...you are making the process come alive and it inspires me to pick up a paintbrush!
    Thank you for sharing,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the link to come see some of your paintings, Darcy. Your work is beautiful. I'm so glad you wandered into my little gallery and stayed to talk awhile. I hope you'll let me know that you have posted more of your work on your blog soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this. Must try this technique myself!

    ReplyDelete