Saturday, November 6, 2010

Intuitive Painting


Here's my painting "Expectant Buds" that won the People's Choice award. It was fun and validating for me to win the award and also to have my painting bought by a lady from San Antonio who was very excited about hanging it in her home.
It is a special one for me, because it is one of my "intuitive" or spontaneous paintings. I started out with a fresh piece of watercolor paper and lots of tubes of paint before me. I went by "feel" to orient the paper and select the paints I felt drawn to, without a preconceived idea of what or how I intended to paint. On wet paper, I freely applied paint and water from the brush with my whole arm, and let the colors mingle on the paper, responding at a gut level to the painting as it evolved. Then after it dried, I added contrast and definition, attempting to create interest without impeding the freedom and flow of the underpainting. I enjoy painting this way and in this case enjoyed the results too!

10 comments:

  1. Email from Judy Ziehm on November 6, 2010

    So cool ! How exciting darci has discover a passion for painting. I would
    love to see more. Love her descriptive write ip. Beautiful painting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Email from Alison Wingfield on Nov 6, 2010

    Re: [I love to paint!] Intuitive Painting It’s a beautiful painting. Thanks for
    sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Email from Kate Wissmann on Nov 10, 2010

    Wow Darcy, your paintings are amazing. You have to explain to me how you do that
    next time u come in!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Email from Ava on Nov 7, 2010

    You draw well and you write well --you are so full of talent! So proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Email from Debbie Snider on Nov 7, 2010

    oh my gosh, jean! that is gorgeous!!! i don't know anything about painting,
    but she really seems talented! thank you so much for sending the blog thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Email from Rachel on Nov 6, 2010

    I would be happy also to have that beautiful piece of art hanging in my home. Wow
    it is awesome. Good job. lovely lovely

    ReplyDelete
  7. Email from Melanie on Nov 6, 2010

    Wow..............you must inspire other artist as well!!!! So glad you
    sold it...........great work!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Email from Shirley on Nov 6, 2010

    It's beautiful, Darcy! Was the People's Choice Award given at the reception in
    Elgin? You are really going "great guns", and I'm excited for you. I love the
    story you tell with each painting - it makes it more meaningful to read the
    history of it..

    Kkeep on Painting!! Shirley.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Email from Diane Schattel on Nov 2

    You go, Darcy!
    When you're talented and happy, your skills just come through.
    I'm still teaching ESL (Accent Modification) at a college in the area,
    Plano. It's been fun, and interesting, too.
    We're all set for a vacation in November-December, but we still don't know
    where it will be. Ha! We never do.
    I'm so glad I know you--you're wonderful. Keep sending the artistic
    updates. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, Darcy! Congratulations on a beautiful painting.

    ReplyDelete