Monday, January 24, 2011

Wet paint on wet paper

Sunday morning I was reading in one of my art books, but noticed I was distracted by a sensation of heaviness, or sadness of some sort, inside my body. I had the urge to paint my feeling, one color and brushstroke at a time, without analyzing or pre-planning anything. I took a piece of watercolor paper and wetted it entirely, let the water settle into the paper a bit, and just started painting. It started out as a boiling pot of wet-on-wet color at the bottom. I added color by brushstrokes directly to the paper and also by flicking a brush loaded with paint to create splatter onto the paper. I also added a little salt at the bottom, which sucks up the watercolor and creates the effect of light spots. The process of painting was playful and fun, and before I knew it the heavy sensation inside me was gone. I love the way watercolor merges in unforseen ways on wet paper. When I looked at it, it appeared like a flower emerging and reaching for the sky. It feels like "Morning Joy," so that's what I named it. What does it feel like to you?

3 comments:

  1. Email from Shirley Slaughter on January 24, 2011
    One thing I like about watercolor painting is the soft edges . I have to
    change my ways a lot to feel loose, or free, to put water on the paper and then
    just paint, not knowing where I'm going with it. But, I'll get there in time.
    I've always felt I had to think positive and know exactly where I was going and
    what was I going to do when I got there.

    Those are personal issues, coming down from always the need of taking care of
    myself.

    I really like Morning Joy! You are doing just great, and I know it's a real
    pleasure for you. I'll surprise you, and Linda, one day with my own "Afternoon
    Happiness".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Email from Lynne Russell on Jan 24, 2011

    Feels and looks like Morning Joy to me. Lovely.
    LL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Email from Karole Fuller on Jan 25, 2011

    It looks like a joyous wave splashed up on a tulip. Neat! Thanks for
    sharing.
    Karole

    ReplyDelete