Thursday, April 14, 2011

Less is more!

I learned a lot about exciting wet-on-wet techniques at a one day workshop this week taught by master artist, Rae Andrews. She emphasized leaving plenty of the white of the paper to create breathing space and sparkle in your painting. To start, we wet the paper, but only in parts. We then flicked paint onto the paper, staying mostly in the wet parts so the paint could spread and mingle. When our underpaintings dried, we looked through our photos and imaginations to decide on an image to paint. I used tracing paper to draw the flower I selected and then moved it around a bit on my painting to see how and where it would create a pleasing composition. Using a combination of positive painting (painting the object itself) and negative painting (painting around the object to create the shape of the object), I wove my image into the underpainting. When I photographed my painting, I got some shadows over the white parts, but I hope you can get the idea of "less is more!"

No comments:

Post a Comment