Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Creating time and space for my art












Starting another week of painting every day ... it's been quite an experience! Some days I have painted for hours, often starting or continuing on a new project or style. On busier days I get myself to sit down and paint for at least 15 or 20 minutes, playing with colors or form or adding a little to one of my projects. The regularity seems to keep the juices flowing.

A friend asked me the other day if I have a space set aside where I can leave out all of my paint and supplies. Yes! About a year ago, I had an inspiration to turn a little anteroom leading into my kitchen into my "studio." I didn't even think of myself as a painter yet. But I knew if I had a studio I could become one! In my studio, I put my dining room table (which was rarely used) in front of the window and my easel in the corner. I hung my grandmother's artwork (above left) on the wall with the window and my own first painting (above right) on the wall with the bookcase. Whenever I sit down, I feel inspired.

I am thankful to have this challenge to paint every day and a dedicated space in which to do it. Creating time and space validates and honors my yearning to create art. How do you create time and space for what you love to do???

1 comment:

  1. Darcy, your work is so beautiful. I especially love the iris watercolor. You have truly found your gift. Keep up the good work. love always your friend, Rachel

    ReplyDelete