Monday, September 7, 2009

Glad to be here

It's been over 2 years since my husband and I last came to California to visit our son and his partner. We are having a blast, experiencing new things, and just relaxing and hanging out. It is really good to be here. I am amazed that I am painting every day. I've done a sketch and a painting of some of the vegetation outside and experimented with using a light wash over it to simulate rays of light. I made a new sketch of a zinnia from our garden, and am experimenting with my limited travel paints to mix colors. Got inspired to finish my cactus rose, adding darks to the background and loosely to the non-dominant flowers and pads.

I notice that there is still a disconnect between what I want to create and what I actually do create on paper. I want my paintbrush to magically create flowers bursting with color, trees in the moonlight, sun shining through leaves or something in my imagination. Sometimes I'm so excited I just want to be there now. But I have found out that when I so focus on wanting to be there, I cease to enjoy being right here where I am. So I go back to doing and learning and enjoying the process. I love just feeling the brush laying water and color on the paper, or trying new things, and watching what happens. It is so cool. Yes, I'm glad to be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment