Wednesday, August 19, 2009

My challenge

I know I love to paint. I know I want more joy in my life. My goal with this blog is to achieve these two things in one personal challenge.

I painted a little when I was a kid. In fact, my painting of a nun on a cobblestone street is still hanging prominently in my dad's house. But I completely forgot I liked to paint. I had a career and kids and only after 50 was hit with a compelling urge to find what I really love to do.

Rediscovering art was an accident. A friend brought watercolors to a girls-only weekend retreat and insisted that we all paint. That was a beginning but the knowledge of my love for painting grew slowly. My daughter signed us up for a four-week art class and my typical determination and perfectionism didn't lead to great results; my first attempts were a disaster. But when I finally gave up my attempts at control I surprised myself with the first painting that I was really proud of. When I took it in to be framed the guy asked me who the artist was. I didn't know what to say. I didn't think of myself as an artist but I knew he was talking about me.

I hid my growing love of painting so no one would expect much. I took another class, but almost didn't make it through. I looked at the other students' masterpieces and almost cried every time I had to display mine for critique at the end of class. After several more months of self-doubt, I met a watercolor artist at an art fair whose work I loved. When I asked her if she would teach me, she revealed that she had only been painting a few years and that she did not feel qualified to teach. She actually said she was "terrible" when she first started. I couldn't believe it....maybe there was some hope for me!

That was my epiphany! I decided my goal is to have fun as an artist: whether I am good or not I want to learn from every brushstroke. Sometimes when I paint, I can feel an inner joy bubbling up, and I love it! Other times I don't feel inspired and I don't paint at all. I am wondering if the act of painting creates the inspiration or the other way around.

That leads me back to my challenge. I know I love to paint and I know I want more joy in my life. But can I successfully combine these goals? To answer this question I'm challenging myself to paint every day, with the intention of having fun and learning. What I observe and learn in the process is what I will write about and share.

Thanks for joining me.

2 comments:

  1. Some readers have been having difficulty posting comments. When you are asked to select a profile, select "anonymous" if you wish. You can leave your name in the text of your message. Thanks, Darcy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've enjoyed reading your blog and looking forward in seeing your latest paintings.
    j.ruth

    ReplyDelete