Sunday, August 23, 2009

Reclaiming the necklace

As I sat on the porch this morning wondering what I would write in my blog, my dream from last night flashed into my mind. I began to write it down in my journal.

I had left my tiger's eye necklace behind in a shop's dressing room. When I went back to the dressing room to look, I found my necklace there hanging on a hook, on which there were also many other necklaces. I was relieved to find my necklace still there, and I figured that most people simply did not know its value. I thought about just taking it, but something urged me to tell the shopkeeper I had found it and that I was reclaiming it. The shopkeeper was delighted I had recovered my necklace. She wanted me to come by her office so we could document what had happened. I suspected that her real business was in helping people recover what was precious to them. I really didn't want to take the time to stop, as the group I was with was going on ahead. But I also wanted to give this woman recognition for what she was doing. My recollection of the dream ended with me feeling conflict between a desire to show appreciation and a fear of lagging behind.

The tiger's eye necklace ....I had picked it out as an anniversary gift from my husband, but it was also a gift to myself. I had rarely shopped for jewelry and this one delighted me. I knew the necklace was secure in my jewelry drawer, so I asked myself, "what else that I love have I left behind?" The answer came quickly, "my art."

This realization brought a flood of questions: Is it too late to pick it up? Do I really need to keep up with the crowd? Who is the shopkeeper? I knew that the shopkeeper did not want me to unceremoniously grab the necklace and run. She wanted me to take the time to show appreciation and delight in what she was doing.

So here I am, writing about the process of recovering my creative self. And thanking the shopkeeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment