Friday, August 28, 2009

Not knowing

Sometimes I worry that I lack sufficient vision or creativity to be a painter. I noticed as I was painting the poppies that I don't have a very clear picture of what I'm trying to create. I don't seem to have a grand vision of what I want it to look like when I'm done. The painting seems to be emerging gradually, one section, sometimes one brushstroke, at a time. I do know what I like when I see it, and this does seem to help me know what to do next.

I was debating about whether to blog about this or not, when I got a little nudge from the advice in my Chinese fortune cookie today. It read: "You do not have to know where you are going to be headed in the right direction." Wow, that was just the prompt I needed!

I do notice that sometimes I enjoy not knowing where I'm going, forcing me to listen to the inner nudges, to go with a gut feeling about my painting. Sometimes it turns out great, sometimes not, but it is always exciting to paint this way. I suspect I am learning what I need to learn right now. Maybe planning and vision will come as I continue painting. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment