Saturday, August 22, 2009

What's my style?

I just didn't feel like working on the cactus rose anymore. I was happy with the central portion of the painting and felt uninspired to to add more detail to the surrounding areas. Though I considered it quite unfinished, I took it to class for some feedback on what else was needed, seeking some re-inspiration to finish it.

To my surprise, my teacher suggested I consider leaving out further detail. She pointed out that the style was "loose" or somewhat abstract, with some shapes clearly defined and some not. She asked me to compare this style to the clearly defined and "tight" style I used in my painting of the fruit basket. I realized that though both styles have appeal, my inner artist was yearning to paint in the more "loose" style. Letting go of my idea of how art should be, and doing it the way that gives me more joy, seems to be a path to making my art my own....

No comments:

Post a Comment