Monday, August 31, 2009

Coming in the back door

Just reporting in on the problem of "not knowing" what to do. I didn't know how to finish my poppy painting. I knew it was missing something, but I didn't know what. I tried drawing some additional flowers/buds/leaves but nothing seemed to work and I erased them all. Then as I was about to fall asleep it came to me. My original sketch! When I got up in the morning, I took out my original sketch, which had served as the blueprint for the sketch I then transferred onto watercolor paper for my painting. I added to my original design on the sketchpad, by trial and error, until I got one that worked! Success! I then drew the additions onto my painting on the watercolor paper. I knew how I wanted to paint the rest, and how I wanted to do the background. Clear sailing!

I can't say that I was able to envision the design I wanted. But I got a result I liked by using a "back door" approach. I may not have foresight yet, but at least I can use a little hindsight to fill in the gaps in my vision! The learning process is crooked and winding, but I am managing to stay on the path.

No comments:

Post a Comment